We love our pets year round, but National Pet Month calls for a pause to truly appreciate all the ways pets enrich our lives.
The benefits of owning a pet are endless, but here are the top five reasons for letting a furry friend into your life.
1. According to the American Heart Association owning a pet can help lower the risk of heart disease. Pets may provide social support for their owner, which will help them stick with or adopt healthy behaviors or habits. A pet can help lower stress, which may result in lower blood pressure. People with dogs tend to be more active because of the exercise their pooch requires.
2. Pets can help an owner that is feeling blue through unconditional love. A pet may also give an owner a sense of purpose that will help if they are feeling down. Pets provide companionship, which keeps you from feeling lonely and can improve your overall mood.
3. Having a pet may expose you to more social situations, such as training classes or being out in a park. A pet can provide a topic of conversation when trying to get to know new people. Pets are sometimes used as ice breakers to get a conversation moving.
4. Children growing up with pets benefit in numerous ways. They can learn more ways to express themselves and caring for a pet can help to teach responsibility. Having a pet can improve a child’s immune system and prevent allergies.
5. There is nothing quite like the unconditional love a pet can provide. A pet is willing to play when you’re feeling energetic and adventurous, sit by your side and listen when you need an ear and offer a snuggly cuddle when you’re feeling down. When properly cared for a pet can provide years of companionship, health benefits, love and affection.
Take a moment to show your pet extra love this month with a bonus treat, a few more throws of the ball or five more minutes of cuddle time.